Thursday, June 3, 2010

Side Projects - Good thing or...?

My main now almost 2yr old project has been a tough slog. I've made a ton of progress, but I'm facing some waning enthusiasm.  I've only shared the results with a few people who give it high praise.  I need to start shopping it around to the appropriate folk, but I was hit with an energy sapping dry period where my network access was knocked out just at the same time as I finished a collaboration with a University group.  The resulting frustration sapped my energy and eagerness.

I've started a couple of side projects just based purely on their intellectual interest, and they have gone reasonably  well. They are short period things, so I can achieve a fair bit in a short time. It's really that barrier - achievement cycle that drives me... and I guess most researchers.   You know at each challenging road-block that many people who have independently came along the same path have been turned away. As you overcome the challenge, you are rewarded with a sense of accomplishment.

Still, working as a lone-gun on a project means you don't get any peer recognition for the work. It's pretty pure in the sense that you are encouraged only by the personal elements.

Yet I worry about whether all the substance of my effort will be for nought.

No comments: