Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Same or Different?

Accomplishments. How do you react to them? I have some sort of 'buyers remorse' that follows on the heels of achievements. I'm briefly elated at my perseverance and excited about the progress, but then I feel kind of deflated about the whole thing. The challenge has been accomplished and it's receding into history. It's old news.

I tend to think that people are only as good as their last accomplishments. After battling a bevy of barriers and seemingly unreachable goals that were tougher than those previous, you always wonder a bit whether the next ones will be even more difficult.

There are two kinds of people though - those who get comfortable at their ability to do something, then do that same thing over and over, and those who treat an task as a stepping stone to another different and equally (or more) challenging task.

Once I've completed task X, I don't think much about ways in which I can do another X, I'm eager to do a Y.

So with a recent set of bugs and features fully squashed, and next steps clear and waiting for me, I'll have to shrug of the deflation of the last task's completion and push forward.

Researchinator is staring down a Y...

No comments: