Monday, July 20, 2009

Perseverance and a Cuppa

I've been expecting this period for the year it took to arrive. I'm feeling low on motivation, and staring at the funding gulf trying to make the leap from concept to active venture.

Concept proven, patent filed, but a whole pile of work to do, and it's mid-summer, the bank account is getting lower and I have to think about probabilities.

I've recently got a line on a short term consulting contract - interestingly enough for a funding agency for whom I'll review some business plans. Of course, they are not in the area in which I'm searching for funding, so it's not to perverse, but still a bit ironic.

My concept has a pretty good shelf life, I think, and there are many things I can do while trying to get it to catch hold, little nudges forward I mean, so perhaps there will be something that comes out of it in the future.

For now, I'll dedicate myself to the next 6 weeks, but after that I may be forced to step back from the venture. Perseverance pays off sometimes, but for every story I know of someone who persevered to make their business succeed, I know 10 who threw their money and years away on something that never caught.

Regardless of the potential given the money to make it go, without the money the chasm still sits there, no matter how much you walk back and forth on the far side. Or in the more common parlance of the start-up world, no matter how much I taxi around my patch of asphalt, without the runway, there's no flying today.

Researchinator opts for a cup of tea...

No comments: