Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grey Entrèe into Long Weekend

I've got a long way to go to get into the long weekend - especially as I have an onerous event this afternoon defending my research project. Actually, it's not even my project, just the one I inherited when I arrived a year back or so. Still, I'm not wild about the dynamic of some self-appointed experts asking the 'tough questions'. Anyone can sit back and press you on a project - now if they were going to actually engage and contribute to the goals that would be one thing.

I guess the adversarial approach to 'innovation and creativity' is my core complaint. I better like the approach of having a good list of deliverables and updates that can be used to judge progress and focus. That includes presentations and demonstrations. If there are issues arising there, they can be raised and dealt with. If well, then proceed, if not then cancel.

The attack approach is detrimental to the research culture - but that might be a symptom of the greater problems with achievement in this research organization. It's been a while since there have been accomplishments that would be lauded by anyone other than the proponents of the work.

Well to email and tea.

No comments: