Monday, April 7, 2008

Spring Monday

This weekend felt like the first real weekend of spring, warmer temperatures and even an opportunity for a walk. Bumped into lots of old acquaintances over the weekend - kind of highlights both that people are getting out again after such a crazy winter, and you can see them on the streets. Walked 10.2 km according to 'mapMyRun'.

After the flurry of activity last week to wrap up our big research idea submissions, I have to face a flurry of emails on both how that went, and other pressing work. Meanwhile, we live in limbo about our ongoing existence. We're a research team in a hotbed of other companies doing, er, Oceanography. It makes sense that we are here, and that we have a strong presence. The real, true research here is minimal, giving us the opportunity to get the best and brightest. Most R&D here is really r&D these days... or even _&D.

I also noticed I got a patent payment this past week - a chunk of cash for the filing of a patent. Not much left after taxes, but a few hundred bucks that will cover the stuff I bought in a flurry of catch-up purchases last week - a hub, some software and a tablet. Thinking that the extra cash should go to something interesting, since it's not like I have some pressing debt or anything - it spawned some thoughts about what would actually improve my quality of life. As a reasonably affluent, thoughtful, healthy western-hemisphere person, I eat well, and enjoy good wine and unusual food - so it's not like another fancy meal will make a difference. It's also not like working towards changing my car to a nicer, more modern one will make a difference - sure it will drive better than my now 9 year old one, but that's mostly paint and sound.

To make an impact on quality of life, it needs to be something that makes me feel more actualized. Expands my horizons in some way. Perhaps adds some capability. Hey - maybe more language courses. I'd love to improve my Japanese more, but there seems to be a wall to getting beyond level 3 in this city - nowhere to go. My german has wasted away to almost nothing - and I do have German human interactions.... though I find Japanese food and culture more interesting. Well, more thought required there.

On to the email that awaits.

No comments: