Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Distraction For Cash

Some contract work is providing income... well, it will in a few months when I can complete the billing payment received cycle. For now, it's mostly a drain on my energy, since it involves reviewing someone else's work. That alone isn't an issue, it's reviewing someone else's work anonymously, with no means to do a close inspection, and without any means to fix the huge gaping holes. Tough for a manager of complex technical projects to look at one from the outside and critique without opportunity to propose the repairs. But such is the life of a venture funding contract reviewer.

Making it tougher is that these venture folks tend to fund stuff regardless of the review process, so all I can do is stick to my principles, process, instincts and experience and let them do what they want with the info. I'll likely get the last cringe (not, laugh, I hate to see tech things fail) down the road when the venture fades away.

Meanwhile, my venture is fading into the background, but only as I'm distracted with this project. I think I'll be finished with distraction today, and be able to turn my attention back to my stuff tomorrow, finally. I'm eager to move forward under a new routine. I can again see a nice path rolled out in front of me. Even though it likely means funding opportunities for me are over a year away, I can at least conceive of a path that gets me there.

For now though, it's distraction for cash, and I should get onto it. The quicker I start the quicker I'm through with it.

Researchinator turns researchy eyes to someone else's mess, neglecting one closer at hand...

No comments: