Friday, May 29, 2009

Finding The Right Battlefield

Had a call this morning with an agency that is government related and purports to provide funding to start-up ventures. I'm always sketical of such organizations, as one's I've seen in the past mostly employ deadwood from big corporations, and seem to quickly form a clique with other cronies. What criteria they use for funding things is a mystery, and they are rarely accountable for their failures.

Whereas VC's will list start-up logos like trophies (until they go south) the gov't orgs seem to avoid acknowledging their record.

Well the call went positive, but I'm not naive enough to expect anything to come of it. I'll get an enthusiastic intoduction to yet another group of deadwood-agency and they'll queue me up with a bunch of other chumps to sing and dance while they make big sweeping statements about how the world works.

In the past I've seen broad comments to rooms full of entrepreneurs telling them that there are "no good managers around," or that "nobody understands the market", and "when I was in business..." I'm always tempted to ask, "yeah, but what have you done lately."

Oh well, I'm jaded but still enthusiastic. I think success involves skirting around the parade of losers and finding someone who actually has an ability to do things, not just talk about them. So I enjoyed pitching my concept this morning, and I'm happy to get in front of whomever I can find, but I won't fight any battles that don't have an upside for us - no point wasting the energy.

Researchinator is keeping the powder dry.

No comments: