Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Corporate Beer

Trying to get back into the saddle. The travel work combo was reasonably good. I didn't do as many hours as I'd have liked, but then again, I was in Paris, so who can complain. While away I was called by an investor that I had connected with earlier, and invited to present the day after my return. The result was some scrambling to ensure my biz plan and slides were in good shape, but they were pretty good, and so I did that preso this morning.

My sense is that it went well. I had a 10minute slot, and it took me an hour and 10 to get through it. Not because I'm a lousy presenter, but because of the constant conversation that ensued going through the slides. I take it as good that there were pretty much only positive things to say, and the only minor criticism was easily addressable. My product offers A as alternative when people can't do B, and also offers C,D, and E. So the criticism that people would just do B, doesn't really fly. A is for when they can't do B, as is common in all these myriad common, all-day situations. Seems like a slam dunk, but who can tell.

The perception I have of this group is that they are big on bureaucracy, and a successful engagement means they slather you with coachy, touchy-feely, motherhood stuff, give you no cash, and use up tons of your time. However, I'm happy to be proven wrong, of course. I'll just continue to expect to be underwhelmed and enjoy being surprised should that prove to be the case.

Just now, it's after lunch, and I have the hiccups. It's hard to just jump back into your tasks when you've been through an event for which you were planning for several days. Perhaps going out for a beer with the colleagues would be best, but then again, I have none... so I'll just make some tea, and hope I can soon hire a whole bevvy of co-beer-drinkers.

Researchinator patiently waits for the first corporate beer day.

No comments: