Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Patch the Bag, or My Punctured Fingers?

Lots of work yesterday on adding a feature to my app. Building a type of app that doesn't exist is a bit of a challenge. More than a bit. Sure you plan it out, but short on staff, at some point you have to jump in and start working on it.

Then layering extra functionality on top you get to see if your attempt to generalize for broad cases of use will really hold up or not. So far it's not too bad. I'm debating with myself over approaches. It's kind of like a plastic shopping bag full of scrap metal. You get a piece poking thru every once in a while, but you tape it up and hope it holds. Biggest worry is that the whole thing just shreds and you're done. I've added the new jagged piece into it, and am hoping it all holds together.

Okay, bad analogy at the end of the day, 'cause I don't think the app looks like a patched up bag with pokey bits in it. But the process feels like that, even if the analogy is less apt for the overall project.

I had planned this to be a cold call week, but there's a balance between managing the desire for funding and managing the show-off-ability of the product.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Got a collaborator meeting tonight - will see how that's sticking at least.

Researchinator tries to decide between bandages and tape...

No comments: