Thursday, August 28, 2008

Contemplate First Real Estate Options

Listen to that - pretty much silent. At 9:08 in the morning (never believe blogger time stamps they're always out of whack). Oh drat, the silence broken by distant chatter. It was just me and the HVAC for a minute there it seemed, even though there are hundreds of desks around me - well dozens anyway.

I'm thinking more about offices these days as I'm contemplating picking up some office space rather than do the work from home thing again. If I could economically do that - say for $3000 for a year. That wouldn't be too bad. Some mini-office with shared reception perhaps. And security. Last thing I'd want to do is set up software-based company in an office and have someone steal the whole thing. Perhaps a robust, firewall protected network drive on my home network would help.

Anyway, I've been through this set-up a company thing before, and it's not pretty. The resources for the initial phase of a business are slim to none. There are multi-million dollar handouts for large firms - like this oceanographic research organization I'm currently sitting in. But as someone trying to start a business that would grow at 1000% p.a. for a few years, there's nothing. Sure the odds are small that it will succeed, but some bets should be placed based on experience and good product concepts.

Meanwhile I struggle away on my concept in the background. There's a downtown event tonight on a few software topics... sounds mildly interesting, but more so as a networking opportunity. Should be chock full of awkward, socially challenged folk with whom I could find some avenues toward collaborators.

Researchinator dreams big...

No comments: