Friday, August 29, 2008

Entrée to Long Weekend

Whoa, just turned around to see the rain. Glad I missed it on the way in, but happy that I had the forethought to bring the brawly from my trunk.

Last night went to a software geek-a-thon event with talks on three programming 'scripting' languages (that moniker is pretty passé these days). The topics were perl, python and ruby. The speakers ranged form okay to poor, but they knew their stuff. One younger guy made the mistake of trying to surf and 'show us stuff' while presenting. Bad idea - nothing says boredom quicker than watching someone surf. But it feels like a great thing to the guy doing it, I guess. Another guy had huge issue with huffy, faux exasperation, and slagging every programming language.

I don't hold it against them too much - they're software guys and relating to groups of people isn't their strong point. There was some good info in there, and it was a nice change for an evening, so I can live with that. And a pretty casual crowd too. I was hoping to network a bit, which I did. Just the start of collecting contacts for the venture - assuming the prototype works out okay.

We're just rolling into a long weekend, but I have a full day ahead of me, and feel pretty positive. I need to do a bit of real-work on my archive of past work this morning, then can get back to my project. Getting closer to seeing a first prototype of the vision in action.

Researchinators dreaming in technicolour.

No comments: