Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Rewards of Completing Check-off-able Items

Real work gets in the way briefly as I try to clean up some collaborative work with local Universities. I'll be happy to put this to bed, though I enjoy the interaction with the Uni set. It's an interesting thought - working in academia. I don't know that tenure really means that much anymore, but the idea that you can have this job where you research stuff perpetually in your specific interest area without really having to answer to anyone would be great.

But that's only superficially the case. Getting closer to it, I see that there are issues with departmental hierarchy, pressure to publish, funding relationships and the constant need to teach a bunch of ungrateful louts. Plus the pay really sucks from what I've seen, perhaps only 60% of my industrial salary. With all that stuff it's not so pleasant I suppose. Still there's a fair bit of freedom, and only minor schedule pressure. Short of being wealthy enough to do your own thing, it's hard to find many roles like that.

My last 2 years have been pretty free of pressures really, in this Oceanographic research conglomerate. Actually my last 7 years have all been pretty diverse, and reasonably low on stress, though there are stresses of other sorts. Where is my next gig, how's my cash-flow going to turn around, can I make anything of this entrepreneurial kick. But those are in someways better than the work-a-day stresses of my boss is a pestering idiot, or politics has shut down my group - oops, the latter has just happened. But the side-effects include this new entrepreneurial

Anyway, I'm off topic as blogs tend to usually be. Suffice to say that my day will be running around wrapping stuff up, but conceivably I could be finished with the Uni part of the work by this afternoon. One less 'to-do' item.

After that the big issues are a patent and an archive and then I should be reasonably happy with my completeness.

Researchinator looks forward with eagerness, and a little trepidation to boot.

No comments: