Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Electrifying

It's a week of afternoon thunderstorms it appears. Great for viewing lightening action against dark clouds. More activity out there than in here, that's for sure. It's nice to bask in the sense of summer (I keep telling myself) given such a long, deep-snow winter.

My diversionary software project continues to progress as I discover the intricacies of Django. The movement of offices all around me is invigorating. It reminds me of one of those video effects where someone appears to sit calmly as all around them high speed movement takes place at 5x reality speed.

Various real work things continue to happen. University involvement moves ahead. I need to work to get one of my patents in the intricacies of oceanography filed before I go - hopefully well before so that I get associated, though minuscule rewards.

My SO is off on biz travel (sans me this time) for a couple of days, so I might experience some of that fuzzying between work and home life. I really want to see some progress in my django/web work so I can see that becoming a focus for a few days. If I can make a good dent in it I might line up some potential momentum behind my project which could turn into something real.

Perhaps I should plan a timeline for this thing - it seems I have about 3months of pseudo free time here. I should use my position of strength as a senior guy in a prestigious oceanographic institute to leverage my transition into a reasonably oceanographically related startup entity. So, I should be able to demo some of this capability in, say 6 weeks? I should also attempt to build a bit of a team around then too, although my previous experience in doing that was that it was tougher to move quickly when you have a team too early.

Well, lots to think about. The crux of the matter is that I should get down to making some demo stuff happen

-Researchinator exits full of enthusiasm

No comments: