Monday, June 30, 2008

Quiet Day

The day between the weekend and Canada day, means that there are very few people in the office. Parking was a wide open choice, and the office environment is quiet except for the odd distant hacking of the compulsive throat clearer.

I'm making some good progress today. Some meetings to setup (done) and some new things to learn to push my research forward. In exploring SW topics it seems there are a wide range of approaches to accomplish something, and a big part of the job is employing intuition, based on chatter and discussion about which way has garnered the most support. What is likely to be around and gain strength in the coming years.

Thus I'm plodding along, adapting code from various sources to learn some techniques, employ them and move on to the next stage. The quiet of the office helps that, but I feel also some anxiety at being here rather than taking the day off.

I guess I also feel anxious about the success of my project and my general future. Though I'm optimistic and have toughed it out through poorly defined years in the past, one can't help but feel a bit of anxiety.

So head down and get back to the task at hand. Reading a 7 page code listing to figure out how some API works.

Researchinator turns his attention to the print out on his left.

No comments: