Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No Rubber Here

I guess we kind of know our fates - in one context anyway. We aren't going to be pushing the limits of oceanographic research from this particular organization anymore after Q3 - but may be elsewhere in Oceanography International Inc... though the researchy jobs are a bit scarce.

This long period before layoff is an interesting one in that it reminds me a bit of the Rubber Room situation in NYC schools. One of the craziest things I have ever come across relating to the working world. It is perpetrated, I suppose, by the rise of powerful unions, resulting in people who can't be fired. So they are put into a room and they have to stay there as if working for months, years even.

Even more surprising is that these are teachers, and rather than icons of knowledge and thoughtfulness, they behave like school yard bullies and dull witted semi-morons. They play cards, fight over who's folding chair is whose, and which corner is owned by which clique.

I would have wagered that if you take a bunch of highly trained educators and gave them months of time with no deliverables they'd be hammering out novels, text books, and planning lofty new organizations. Instead they bicker and threaten violence against each other if they take the wrong seat, then sit about play gin rummy.

So, I'm happy to say that my company has given us continued presence in our firm while we explore other options, but also that we are not letting the time go to waste. At least I'm not. And so back to my exploratory development work. There are crustaceans waiting for free, and self-directed classification research.

Researchinator returns to his knitting

No comments: