Monday, October 6, 2008

Bad Day in Rome?

Sunny and cool go the October days. Monday comes again. My SO is off on a biz trip, hence all elements of structure disappear from my life. I could sleep for a week and nobody would notice.

But I'm working away, diligently to make some progress. The prospect of all my research work happening without any backup or safe copies was wearing on my, so I acquired some 'network storage' to back up all my files on.

The thing is a bit flakey - it's a Buffalo Linkstation pro duo by the way. A little google bait. Occasionally it will take one of my files or directories which I've just written to the disk and rename it something like NJGHK~K instead of "contracts". Just what I want.

Hopefully I can find a way around that. For now, I've managed to load it up and I feel a bit better protected. Still about 400GB or so of space.

Getting out of the home office everyday is a must-do. It's easier with the good weather. However, I'm dealing with a migraine from a couple of days ago that echos occasionally for an hour here and there. That's a demotivator. But the exercise is also a big issue. If I don't think about it, I could find myself amassing only a few hundred steps a week.

So these are the adjustments I deal with. The biggest challenge I can see ahead is building up the appropriate team. That means I've got to network my ass off to find some people with the right skills.

Meanwhile I'm also listening to some audio from the book "Good to Great" while also watching the stock market fall apart. It's quite hilarious, as the very pompous sounding American author goes on about how well run various US banks are, throwing in pithy comments about Wells Fargo, Fannie Mae and such, as that entire industry falls apart due to bad management that not only trashed its own sector, but the entire world economy. Ha! What a juxtaposition.

Anyway, the world seems to be burning, but for now, it's sunny and cool and I'll try not to pay too much attention.

No comments: