Friday, October 31, 2008

All Hallowed Development

So lets talk about goals. Okay, this is not so much a conversation as a monologue. My recent goal on my 'project' was to achieve an end-to-end walk through of my system by last Friday. I'm one week past my goal, but in truth, it was a goal set about 3 weeks ago when it seemed possible. I'm pretty close, may even get there today. Pumpkin shopping might get in the way though. Yesterday I had to bail early to go buy some Halloween candy too.

A quick review. My architecture involves three pieces: an application, a server-side framework, and a client-side AJAX software element in a browser. So for the non-technical folk, let's say a program that does stuff, like MSWord or Excel, some technical program stuff that makes a website work in a certain way, and a browser-loaded web-page that does a bunch of stuff from within your computer as my ultimate target user.

This is the end-to-end piece - the idea of running that application, generating stuff that the website provides to people who are using a browser and doing so in a smooth way so that it can be done thousands of times a day.

But I'm getting close. Spates of trick-and/or-treating, poetry outbursts, musical interludes and a pair of cats that need to spend time on my desktop notwithstanding, I should get there soon. I'd really like that to be today! So let's get to it.

No comments: