Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Don't You Hate it When...

I guess in doing support for a product, you get a lot of questions, not all of them coherent or soluable. However, that's no excuse for providing crazy responses.

I contacted a vendor about a product they sold and provided a very concise, polite, perfectly grammatical question. To use a car analogy (don't we love those) "When I turn the car on, there is a beeping sound from the dashboard. What is it" It's summarized in two brief paragraphs.

The response 2 days later is often unintelligible, and you have to wonder if they've actually read your actual question. It will be something like "You can find the jack in the trunk under the rug" or, "Unleaded gas is provided by gas stations across the country"

This often seems to happen - I have no idea how these responses are supposed to be related to the question, but presumably there is some crazy logic path.

That's my morning email checking story, for what it's worth. It's not a car, its another thing, but don't you hate it when support groups are unable to provide a coherent answer? I responded with a thanks for the effort, but it seems to have nothing to do with my question... We'll see if they just ignore me now, which seems the usual response.

Another sunny day, but cold last night. Can I actually get some work done today? Yesterday finished up with trying to get revision control (SVN) installed on my mac. Seems to have installed fine, and now I have to see if I can use it easily without messing anything up. There seems to be a bit of a cryptic behaviour happening, but I'm sure I just need to read more. I haven't used a revision control system since CVS many years ago.

I'm also thinking I need to spend a bit of time each day digging for meet-up opportunities. That whole networking thing is going to be a key element of success.

Researchinator tries to remove some of the dozens of open windows from his screen.

No comments: