Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Grey Here Too

I was pretty productive yesterday, even thought I didn't move the big boulder much further forward. I got to know the boulder quite well, and figure out a few good hand-holds, so that's something.

This morning has not been so good so far from a productivity point of view. Perhaps it was the forecast that took the wind out of my sails so far, but I am planning to really push forward today. But looming over the horizon is the first snow of the season - sure it will disappear in a day or so, as temperatures are still pretty good, but just the symbolism of it is tough.

So the morning started out with a quick look through email, a reply to a friend and then as I stared at my work, my brain was playing Louden Wainwright's "Grey in LA" in my head, so I needed to hear it through my ears. That achieved, I then needed to check the name of the chick mentioned in the middle - Laurie David - an Environmentalist I hadn't heard of before, probably big in LA. (I thought I had heard Maury David! Ha!) In verifying the lyrics I ended up at a site with a hilarious rendition of the song. Kudos to the guy for giving it a whirl!

It's funny, in the first few seconds, I thought "man, that piano sounds choppier than I remember it." Then the singing started and I realized it was an amateur cover. He starts out in a key that his voice isn't going to be able to handle, and gets himself deeper into the hole as the song goes along. Quite entertaining to listen knowing there are some real good Wainwright runs in there from "you won't be surprised" down to "your wet dog".

Then, I thought, hey lets find the chords and play it myself. Then I recorded it for playback fun (never to be shared with other souls, however). But that seems to have satisfied my interest in being distracted. So I'm about to jump back into real work... though I do need to go outside and drain the rain barrel which we've forgotten, and I'm afraid will freeze sometime soon, especially if packed in snow.

Sigh. The challenges of working in a home office :)

No comments: