Monday, November 3, 2008

Thinking Connections and Progress

A freezing rain warning morning - it's a start to your day like this that makes work from home a positive thing. Meanwhile, I adjust my position in my seat due to a sore back, exacerbated by the lack of exercise I get with not having to walk around much to get to work. After today's rain, some good weather, so I can really step up my getting out for a walk I think.

I've lost track of a few contacts recently, so I made the effort over the weekend to pull out an old Outlook Mail pst file and try to get it incorporated into my Mac environment. The procedure that seems to hold promise, according to some googling, is to use Thunderbird on a PC to import the outlook messages, then get them onto the mac in that format. I've done half of that, but we'll see if I can push it the rest of the way through to see the results. That will revive some connections.

A big goal in these last two months is to dig deep into my previous contacts and try and get some semblance of a team together. I'm nearing the point where I can sit down with someone and walk them thru the vision that lies behind my venture. Meanwhile I see local tech media talking about the total lack of venture funding in the area.

That's not totally a bad thing - in that I was hoping to avoid the VC for this project. I think my current concept lends itself much better to angels, or novice angels in a field that produces wealthy people who may be low on other skills (ie sports) and also lends itself well to strategic funding, ie investments from firms who have a vested interest in my target market.

VC's are a strange lot. Following the bubble of the 2000 era, they have a bizzare approach of investing only in 'ventures' that have customers and revenue already. My perception is that if a company is in that situation, and needs VC funding, they probably lack the ability to make a go of it anyway. If they have a compelling business proposition, I'd think a frugal, innovative team could make a go of it as soon as they some people to put in a bit of effort. So there they are, looking for risk-free companies who don't need money to show up and ask for money. Meanwhile, nascent companies that need initial bootstrapping have no avenue to get off the ground.

Oh well, I'm still optimistic that 'our' concept will fly without those risk-averse, idea-less 'captains of industry'.

Researchinator contemplates who knows who...

No comments: