Friday, January 2, 2009

The Distracted Entrepreneur

It's always interesting to see how I will get distracted in starting off my day. Today it started with trying to assess the asphalt market growth, and getting distracted from my distraction by reading about the carbon black market. There's an area most of us have never heard of before. I mean, I know the term, but I never thought about there being a specific, trackable market for the stuff.

On the asphalt side, it looks like a company called Valero sounds interesting. I was originally thinking about Husky Energy, but I'm not too wild about their whole hog involvement in the very dirty and nasty oil sands business.

Either way, I anticipate a big boom in infrastructure work as stimulus to our marginal economy, plus, oil can't go much lower, so that double whammy should result in good numbers for the asphalt guys. Not too wild about investing in a US based company either, these days... but Valero, and maybe a further stake in SNC Lavalin would be a good move in anticipation of the coming couple of years.

My Tax Free Savings account setup is another chore that I'm almost done. Most annoying is my banks need to have me fill out a form to add the TFSA account to my existing 3 trading accounts. And you fill it out as if they've never heard of you before. I want to say - just take all the crap you know about me and add another account you goofs. Bureaucrats are not just difficult to spell, but they represent so much wasted effort and irrationality in our world.

So I've successfully distracted myself from real coding work that I thought I might spend an hour on today, the first pseudo-work day of the year. Lets see if I can get something happening now anyway.

No comments: