Thursday, May 15, 2008

Battle the Virus

My life these days is all about walking through a soup of active viruses trying to ensure they don't get a hold on me. My SO has a cold and I'm hoping I can avoid it. This isn't usually such a big deal - I try me best and sometimes I'm successful, sometimes not. I think I probably get her colds maybe 50% of the time. I'm particularly worried this time 'cause I just 3months ago had a nasty bastard of a cold that not only knocked me out for several weeks, but I also had to carry it off to France and live with it through a business trip. It was pure hell. I had to talk to people visiting a presentation between coughing fits, and I felt like my body was glowing with radioactive emanations due to a raging fever.

Even still, I have a slight remnant from that experience. One ear has crunchy sounds when I hear loud noises (fluid in my eardrum from congestion still not clearing). And I have the occasional deep, lungy cough that was characteristic of that cold. So the thought of getting another one is really not pleasant. And, heading into a long-weekend here as well. One where my SO is about to go on a biz trip herself to Switzerland. It will suck enough being alone on a long weekend, but to be sick too will both suck and blow.

Anyway, my morning sits in front of me. Mostly all patent related stuff here now, and the daily effort on the new role side of things. The oceanographic field in our fair city seems to be doing well still for entry level folk, but I don't see much in the way of senior management stuff. Annoying how hard it is to find stuff, particularly as one constantly hears a barrage in the media about shifting demographics and how a massive retirement of boomers will leave us without leadership in our companies and a shortage in the work force - ahhhhh - what ever will we do!? We are so screwwwwed! But wait, whats this? The media is totally off-base? Is it possible? How could reality not jive with TV news. Hmmm, must be reality that's wrong.

-Researchinator grumbling heard across the valley

No comments: