Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tuesmonday

Not your regular Monday, but a shifted one following a long weekend. So back in the dead-end world. The weekend was good though. Forgot about work and the world of oceanography almost totally. Working outside and in some carpentry/reno chores, as well as some major clean-up efforts gets your mind off it. I worked myself to virtual exhaustion, then cooked supper, or joined friends in the evening. Finally I could take a few hours at the end of the night to watch computer - well, hooked up to my TV watching the whole canon of Mythbuster episodes. I have a couple of more to go on the DVD's a friend loaned me. Since giving up on cable, I have only seen it on hotel TV's while travelling. The show is quite good. The personalities of the two hosts are good, but the 20-something sidekicks who have been added are quite lacking. They exhibit a much more haphazard embracing of science, and their spoken exchanges sounds incredibly poorly scripted. They may as well hold their scripts and read them directly. I'm expecting them to read the stage directions out by accident. "This result is unbelievable wave hands about!"

I fear I see this more and more. Production values and intellectual depth of television personalities is being eroded rapidly. It seems it's done in an effort to appeal to 20 somethings. It is obvious when someone has "something going on upstairs" versus someone who doesn't understand the fundamentals about which they are talking - but it seems that either a) the producers can't tell, or b) they just don't care and just want to get the content out there.

My cold still is hanging on. But my barrage of remedies even before I picked up the symptoms from my SO made a big difference. It never got past the annoyance of runny sinuses. I used vitamin supplements, echinacea, hot liquids and extra rest. Once it manifested, and then began to wane, I dopped the remedies, though, and my sinuses are busy this morning again. But luckily no sore throat, cough or congestion.

Well stuff to do here at work, strangely. And my daily activities of job hunting and walking as well are waiting for me.

No comments: