Thursday, May 22, 2008

Taste Test Residue

I'm not too smiley this morning. I did a lot of chores after work yesterday. I brought some pants in for alterations, bought some pet supplies, got some groceries for supper (a piece of haddock) and got rid of a bunch -years worth - of plastic shopping bags at the grocery store. They have a token collecting box. Something tells me they just throw them into landfill anyway, but I'll take them at their word. We've been saving them up for a long time, anticipating that there would be a day when you didn't have to put them in the garbage to blow around a landfill.

On my way back, I also dropped into the wine store (LCBO) to get something to go with dinner. I thought a riesling would be a good match to the haddock, and I was right. I had it with a light tempura-like batter, some green beans and some boiled potatoes. A nice simple meal of nice fresh ingredients. That with my home-made french bread, it was nice. The wine complemented it well. But I also wanted to make the wine tasting a bit more interesting - so I had both an Austrian Riesling ($14) and an Australian ($20). The latter is the 2007 Wolf Blass gold label. The former an Aichinger von den terrassen 2006. They were very similar actually. Both were quite dry with peppery notes as a riesling should be. Whites notoriously lack complexity in most varietals, so rieslings and gewürztraminers are better choices. Think pineapple husk, white grapefruit rind and white peppercorns. The Austrian had a bit of a garlicky note to it as well, just a hint, like licking your fingers after chopping garlic.

Anyway - it was a bit of a wash between them, with the Australian coming in a bit better. Neither a stellar experience that I need to immediately repeat. They're tightly capped and chilled, so I'll have another sippy comparison tonight. There's lots left, and my SO returns from Geneva as well, so that will be good.

As well, I felt a migraine kick in about 10:00 last night. Some extra sulphite impact perhaps. So here I remain this morning with about another 4 hours of unpleasant left hemisphere taste test residue.

Hopefully a pending French strike (there's a shock) today won't impact my SO's travel home. I should check my morning email to see if she got away... yes - she was in the line up for her plane in Heathrow and emailed to say she'd picked up some single malt at duty free and was on her way. Auchentoshan lowland.

And now that I've peeked at my email, I must fully commit to cleaning it up.

No comments: