Thursday, May 8, 2008

Minor Entertainments

In this period of change I managed to mess with my new laptops bluetooth capability and get a few things working. One would think - having used a Mac for many years, that MS would be ashamed to offer a new feature without actually making it available. But alas, winXP ensures that the feature is not actually available. Turns out I found an installer buried deep on my disk that installed one component which turned out itself to launch another installer (all this discovered over two days) to install the other components of bluetooth that finally made it usable. Sure I could turn it on, and see the glowing logo light up, but otherwise it was previously invisible.

All the fine MS help pages would say stuff like "right click the bluetooth logo in your tray" - followed by 2 pages of procedure after that. There was next to no help if there was no bluetooth logo in my tray.

Anyways, no help to the help, I managed to get it working - synced a PDA through the air, got a BT headset working nicely and so I can say that's done.

A minor entertainment in this period of change. I need to scare up some enthusiasm for still doing stuff while we also try to find new roles. Our Oceanographic research group in this oceanographic products company is so screwed.

No comments: