Thursday, May 1, 2008

Well, Perhaps Not Every Morning

A busy few days. The old adage about taking time off is true. If you take holidays you have to work twice as hard before and after thereby reducing the value of the time away to near zero.

But I feel like I'm kind of back on track. However, more importantly, it appears that the clouds are forming.

The lofty project competition has reached the final presentation stage. I might have mentioned that out of the short list of 6 proposals, I'm involved in two, but I'm not super proud of the results. The concepts originally proposed by many individuals were grouped (rather haphazardly) into amalgamated groups. The result is a design-by-committee approach that has made the proposals less lofty, often, they are proposals for work already going on elsewhere already. Hardly earth shattering, wow factor proposals.

As well, the results were presented rather weakly by inexperienced presenters sharing charts put together by a big group with several loose cannons spread through each group, injecting random text.

So the world of "oceanography" research is safe from the treat of a planet altering disruptive research proposal. I think my primary proposal will be the one that wins the competition, but it will address weakly conceived concepts.

Meanwhile the hints are that this location's research will be shut down anyway. Hence I need to start browsing for some other engagement opportunities. This is a large multinational oceanography concern, so there may well be some interesting opportunities internally. I saw one for a Director of Kelp design. I have considerable experience in Kelp design, I've designed Kelp at all stages, though my current role in research is more about the broad area of lets say, fish ecosystems. I'm happy to have the fish ecosystem job, but I'm probably not as well suited to it as I am Kelp design. Problem is I'm even more suited to Inter-Crustacean communications, and I don't see much of that in the company. A lot of it gets farmed out these days to pacific rim Crustacean firms.

Hey - I just had a call to get my laptop replaced. Oh joy. Well, at least I'll have a new lightweight one for a while before I'm turfed.

No comments: