Friday, May 16, 2008

Routine

Routine is a central value in human lives. Actually all animals are fundamentally creatures of habit, just in that we made that journey from protozoa to aggressive drivers in a system defined by the cycles of night and day. So, with this blog I start my day, and I punctuate my weary existence as a discarded oceanographic researcher with tiny things that entertain me. Like today, for example, I get my bonus clams. Yes, we in the oceanographic research field are literally paid annual bonuses in clams, and today I get mine.

Its a bit bittersweet, as I know my organization has also been eliminated, but what the heck - I'll take the clams... sending half them to the government, but at least there is a bit of texture to my week.

My kettle boils and I briefly stare into my dwindling tea drawer to see what I'll have today. English breakfast today, it appears. I keep my kleenex in the same drawer and so every time I blow my nose, I get a little hit of caffeine.

May day today looks like it will involve completing the review of a patent, briefly scouting the world for new employment, reviewing a press release, and (hopefully) telling all my collaborators about my demise. Then a long weekend alone - I think my main project will be to try and sell a garage full of old stuff I need to unload.

And so on with my day.

No comments: