Monday, May 26, 2008

Fresh Week

After a self-crafted long weekend, I'm back and it's a nice quiet morning. The obsessive throat clearer isn't in yet, the obsessive glue-stick-cap snapper isn't in yet, and the constant cocoa-butter-coating slatherer isn't stinking up the neighbourhood yet. This is kind of pleasant.

I've got a number of things I want to explore this morning. A potential new-role could be in an area we'll call sea-mammal classifying. I can guess how I would go about doing that, and it relates well to experience I have exploring crustacean classifying, but I should read up on it to get knowledgeable. I know one of the big international oceanographic standards bodies has standards in this area, and I downloaded that last week. So I should read through that stuff, maybe create a few charts. That's the easiest way to remember new material, is just throw yourself into it and work with it for a while. Pretend you are explaining it to someone as dozy as yourself.

This weekend I planted stuff in the garden, got some patio furniture, did some stuff with the backyard fish ecosystem (an easy clean-out for the filter)and did some stuff with friends. The weather cooperated nicely, and even today it's doing a good job, as it's rainy. Just what I'd hoped for for the newly located plant material.

I already checked my email this morning, against my usual code of doing this blog work before I dropped my brain into work. The other thing I want to do, not so work related, is check out NASA's activity with the Mars lander action yesterday. We were with friends for supper just around when everything was happening - so I need to catch up. I imagine there are pictures by now too. This is so cool! New pictures of Mars, somewhere away from Opportunity and Spirit rovers. Will there be snow? Will it be smooth or rocky? Will there be surface markings caused by snow-melt? So many interesting questions. More interestingly - will they be able to dig a hole, get some ice, put it into a beaker, warm it up and see water!? And if so, will anything be swimming around in it.... and could they even tell with the equipment they put on the thing.

Okay, I'm too excited. I have to go make some tea and check out their website, like every other geek is doing this morning.

-Researchinator to mars, come in mars.

No comments: