Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Transition is Palpable

The shape of things to come. Left the office a bit early today for a Dr's appointment (long delayed physical). So with that and a rather leisurely afternoon afterward, it's a bit of a hint of my next week, and several months afterwards - free-form working. Take time if you want it.

Of course, leading oceanographic research is much like that anyway. I mean there is nobody cracking a whip. But still not reporting to anyone is a feature I will enjoy.

Then again, in my interactions there becomes much more of a sense of trying to get someone to buy into our religion. Well, lunches and beers are scheduled. Starting with a close circle of contacts and gradually growing from there. I need to shake the bushes for all the contacts I can get in the venture related area. Already I've described some of my ideas with folks, and more of that as my stealthiness gradually dissipates in coming months perhaps.

But now, my biggest concern is the cat that is moaning for food. Poor starving, chubby cat.

Effort-wise, I've been slogging away. Moving development tools onto a Mac OSX platform. Some of it has been good (e.g. the Unix-like environment is so refreshing after winpc), but others a challenge. I've totally bogged down with trying to build a little piece of junk called psycopg2 which just totally refuses to come together on the Mac 'tiger' platform. I junked that puppy in favour of SQLite - which was pretty painless to build and install.

Well a bit of time still left in the day. I think I'll google some camping options for next week. I hope to take one night, and the days on either side for a little communing with nature.

Researchinator stops to smell the trees.

No comments: