Monday, November 17, 2008

Carving out some intellectual property

Each week loads up pretty much like the one before. A bunch of days ahead, so me huge goals that seem to never get closer, like mountains on the horizon. But once you dig into your projects and think more in terms of short-term accomplishments, it's easier to notice the changing landscape around your feet than the distant hills.

I was doing patent document stuff last Friday, and making good use of my tablet and stylus. It's quite surprising how much quicker things are when you don't need to move your mouse about. I bought a wacom Bamboo which is very thin, and about the size of an letter sized sheet of paper (the active surface a bit smaller). It works well with my 20" monitor.

Hopefully I can finish the patent document today and get it off to the legal folks for a go-over. Hopefully this will be economical. I'm used to big-corporate patent development - and this would be patent #5 for me... but it will be my first which I actually own myself, so it would be nice if it has some marketability, and some licensing potential.

The challenge with patent writing is keeping it focussed on solving a problem, and describing a well-bounded space. Not vague business plan stuff, but a series of functional elements and algorithms that comprise what can be called an invention. That is a little more difficult for an architecture than it is for a widget. But I think of patents for things like voice-mail, caller ID and IPTV and think about the structure of those. My own patents range from circuits to broad information presentation architectures for retail spaces, or failure control in routed networks. I need to keep focussed on how those came together to ensure my current system patent fits into a structure that is both valuable and defensible.

Researchinator returns to stylus and keyboard patent crafting...

No comments: