Thursday, November 6, 2008

Type and Trail

Well, some additional success yesterday, making some substantial changes and they were working out okay. I'm not sure whether to be positive and expect that to continue today, or pessimistic and expect a major issue to arise. My expect the worst, hope for the best typical demeanour suggests the latter tack.

Stepping on the scales this morning, I noted that I've hit a new high weight! That coupled with more aches and pains from simple weekend chores means I've got to put some effort into staying active. I've been lamenting my serious drop off in daily steps since moving to an office a few metres from bed. My stepcounter,which my SO and I have worn for the past few years, has been down in the 2500-3500 range for a few weeks, with a few forays into the 10k range when I can do something in spite of weekend weather.

Trying to find a good timing for getting walks is hard. Walking for lunch in the neighbourhood worked a bit, but even then, only gets me into the 5k range that a sedentary work-day used to give me. I'd like to keep my days over 8k, with a couple of 10k days where possible. I'm already eating well, so a diet change isn't a big priority. I suppose a smaller volume would be good, as the energy output below the neck has been pretty low.

Maybe one of those exercise ball seats would be a good start - though I don't know if my bad back would appreciate it.

Well, out for a walk then - my theory is that rather than start my day with a walk, I'd do a little work first. This avoids an issue I found before. You'd get out and start thinking about what stuff you'd need to do today, then cut the walk short 'cause you were eager to get to the strategy developed in the first 10min of walking. Plus, if you do a bit of work, your thinking should be more focussed on the details of what you are going to do, problems you may immediately be facing and such. That should make for a more productive return to the desk.

So I'm going to shoot for 20min of walking, following the first 30min of work.

Researchinator laces up his trainers...

No comments: