Friday, November 7, 2008

Snipping Wires

Foggy again today. Yesterday was a tough slog - I'm glad I got out for a walk in the morning. I'll do so again shortly. Made some good process on my software, but also had to change my approach in one application for the second time. I preserved most of the code, but re-arranged it in a big way.

It's kind of like opening a hole in the ground where there are hundreds of wires going through. You want to connect them differently, but once you get started, it's pretty tough to do a one at a time cut and splice. Each time you cut a wire four others are getting disconnected as well. Pretty soon you have dozens of cut wires and you need to keep in your mind that the blue one's going to connect with the green one, the striped one will get ripped out, you'll run a new yellow one. Oh, and each wire needs to have a connector wired into it to connect it into its new partner.

So with all this stuff in your mind trying to not to forget it, soon the end of the day is creeping nearer, and you really don't want to try and leave it half completed overnight. The odds of remembering anything the next day seem slim.

I got most of the connections made, and today I just have to test all the connections and see if the desired result is the outcome. So far, just tidying it up, and its not working yet, but I talked it through out loud as I was feeding the noisy cats at about 5:30 yesterday aft, and I think it makes sense. We'll see in the next couple of hours.

This is the hairy edge of research, where a vision of a capability is tried with a few different approaches, and you always seem just on the verge of the breakthrough that makes it all work. Fingers crossed.

Researchinator seeks to preload brain before going for a walk&think...

No comments: