Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Finer Things Required

It's hardly morning, in fact it sure gets dark quick these days, and there's another month to go before we start to spin back the other way. These are the toughest days. Somehow, I think if we had a fireplace for a roaring wood fire, it would be less difficult - you gotta work the cozy thing I think to compensate. And lots of comfort food.

Hence I'm doing a long slow chicken bake today. 5 hours at 275F should about do it, with a jerk-style rubbed seasoning: Alspice, sage, soya sauce, salt,pepper and ginger. Then stuffing the cavity with star anise tarragon sage and garlic - lots of smashed garlic. Then half a can of beer in the roaster and let her rip for 5 hours or so. That should make for a decent supper and given the organic, local free-range chicken we are using up, it's pretty enviro friendly and healthy too.

Also nipped out and got a hair cut and picked up some new shoes. I've been thinking the wardrobe needs a bit of a refresh in preparation for more meetings on the project and selling the concept. I've been able to let the beard go a bit and wear the same old shirt and jeans for days at a time while coding like crazy, but I need to change gears and get ready to spend more time with the outside world.

As a bonus, the SO has her xmas party coming up shortly, so that will be good shoe-break-in time.

Now, if I could just find a decent dark brown, quality jacket. I'm very particular about suit jackets. I do not care for the conventional navy blue, black and grey options. Well, a decent charcoal might be okay. But so many men wear the same marginal stuff - and there is way to much polyester out there. Nope - give me all wool or silk, natural fibres, and a 3-button blazer... though a decent 4button would be nice too. But finding what you want can take forever. And when I saw a decent suit in Paris last year, I didn't buy it and have regretted it ever since.

Oh well, so thus the hunt goes on. The many varied challenges of the modern researcher - from how to properly slow-cook a chicken to finding a good quality suit jacket, we have so many mountains to climb.

Researchinator sips a whole leaf ceylon-darjeeling blend and ponders his wardrobe options...

No comments: