Thursday, November 13, 2008

Catch Phrase Research Ensues

Chatting with the neighbours this morning, doing garbage day chores, looking at the looming sky with freezing-rain on its way. It's the urban living experience in a Northern clime - but I'm glad the heading to work process doesn't involve getting in a Buick and driving down a freeway. Instead, just a brief walk upstairs, and no worries about the pending ice-coating headed our way. My SO is already into the office, so should be no issues with that drive (a long one) either.

I've got a thousand other things to do, but I'm still plugging away on the technology. I guess I'm motivated to see that working smoothly as a fire beneath the pot that is the business side.

Meanwhile the worldwide recession and economic crisis (wrec) is winding up. Hey, I should go and broadly scatter that acronym to see if it catches on. There is no handy catch phrase being used yet - maybe I can be the infamous creator of an historical phrase? I came up with that as I made my morning tea, listening to the radio and realizing they didn't have a suitable moniker yet. Hmmm, sounds like a project. I still feel burned by my "span of green cables." I came up with that just after the bridge to PEI was built, and threw it around liberally in the work place and with friends. Then when I heard it on the radio a few months later it floored me. Is it possible that it could travel so widely so fast? There was no question that I came up with it on my own. I remember the thought process thinking first about joking that Anne of Green Gables could now take the bridge and get the hell off the island, 'they should call the bridge Anne's bridge of green cables I thought - then I noted the rhyme between "Anne" and "span" and the phrase came together with a laugh of discovery. I suppose others could have come up with it on their own as well, but I like to take credit for it still :)

Now if we could only get the WREC acronym started. First I should google to ensure it doesn't exist already - trying a search with quotes...
Ha! Google comes back with: No results found for "worldwide recession and economic crisis". The acronym? Only places like "Withlacoochee River Electric Cooperative" and "World Renewable Energy Congress" are using it currently. Sounds ripe for the coining to me!

I can check that again later and see if it catches on.

Researchinator imagines global catch-phrase domination [evil laugh on].... [evil laugh off]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Later.... A year later actually. I ran that search again in Google and now get:
about 164,000 for "worldwide recession and economic crisis"

Cool! I guess I can claim that phrase successfully coined. The Acronym WREC however hasn't caught on, probably due to the World Renewable Energy Congress who seems to have stolen it. Drat.