Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Meetings and Presentations - the Pitfalls

Skipped an entry yesterday, due to a morning meeting. It was a meeting billed as a breakfast meeting, but turned out they didn't have any breakfast. Nice. They also said it was from 9:30 to 12:00, then it turned out they were serving a lunch after the meeting at 12:00 - also great, as it looked like a decent lunch, but of course, I had planned to get back to work for noon, and have lunch at home. Left-overs in the fridge can't always wait.

I'm not sure why they insisted on misrepresenting the meeting so badly, but I wasn't impressed. The content itself was related to international trade stuff, and two of the four speakers were pretty lame. It's hard to believe there are senior people in significant roles who are unable to put up slides and talk. They actually stand there and read the full text of their presentation. Not only does it show a lack of confidence in the subject matter, but an inability to think on their feet.

So not a stellar event - a bit of networking opportunity there, and I'll follow up on that I think. And really, that's pretty much the only reason for going there.

I like the idea of breakfast meetings - I just wish that they would involve breakfast :)

Researchinator goes looking for a second cup of tea...

No comments: