Monday, November 10, 2008

Motivated to Proceed

Watching some TV this weekend I saw a news bit where a university research group was exploring an area very close to my concept. The result is a bit of enthusiasm deflation, but I think it's passed. I had been unable to find anyone treading in my space much, but have been expecting a stumble across something soon. Sure enough, this is such a discovery.

But at closer look I see that they are focussed on single potential application of the concept which is not my primary market. I have the space charted already, and think I've got the more attractive niche. Plus I'm focussed on a full solution, rather than a component technology. Plus I can potentially acquire or license some of their stuff if it holds any promise later on. For now, they seem to be doing something very compute intensive. And if my past experience with univ researchers holds up, usually they take an approach that is overly complex when some easier path will suffice.

Anyway, a walk out in the cool sunny morning and an few hours of hacking done, I'm still moving forward, slaving in obscurity towards a goal. If nothing else, I'm keeping my skills up and will learn some stuff along the path to my next adventure. After all, it is the journey not the destination - to haul out an old cliché.

My focus right now is trying to find an alternative means of doing some web-based stuff given that Microsoft, whenever they get involved in an area, generally screws up everything. It's quite interesting how they are so good at wreaking havoc on all things they touch. Anyway, as all web-developer types know - there are ways to do things, then other things you have to do to make them work on IE. Such is my challenge now, since, though I have proved my concept works, I know have to find a means to make it work with an IE front end involved. No doubt lots of bailing wire and chewing gum.

Well, I'm on a cliché roll today, so I'll stop there for now.

Researchinator pulls out the Rube-Goldberg toolbox.

No comments: