Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Mediocrity to Which We Must Conform

I fear that the cold weather is on its way. There is definitely an extra chill to the air, and if some precipitation comes this way, we could be in for another bout of snow. Tomorrow is sounding like freezing rain - one of those days that it is great to be working in a home office.

Yesterday I had some good success. I was trying a new structure of content on the web-side of my project. Microsoft's terrible Internet Explorer product doesn't support the canvas entity, so I needed a different means to do the graphical things I need to do on the browser. I managed to do some javascript that creates, styles and moves graphics as per my desire. Took lots of googling and querying experts, but I think it is potentially usable now. Just need to try it out with a PC.

It's an ongoing weirdness that something so bad still has such a dominant place in the world. I guess the power of pre-installing the browser and the fact that people won't take 15seconds to find out how to install Firefox or Safari or Opera is overwhelming. So mediocrity rules. I call this the Tempo effect. A crappy car if ever there was one, but it was the best selling automobile in Canada for years, and that was used as an argument about how good it was. Meanwhile they swarmed the roads - rusty, unreliable hulks of chugging mediocrity. Such is IE, and with 80% of the users, we need to ensure they can use your product, or you are toast. Hence mediocrity is further spread into our world.

I had hopes of a get together last night for a certain software interest group meeting, but it seems to be a random occurrence. Events like that and others are good networking opportunities, and I really need to do more of those. As the technical challenges get put to bed, the organizational ones and business ones will take more precedence.

Researchinator plans the morning's tasks....

No comments: